Handmade for the Holidays
Call for Artists
The Cultural Arts Center will present its 3rd annual digital catalog, Handmade for the Holidays, this Fall to showcase a variety of handmade items, with a strong focus on locally made products, to encourage shopping locally and handmade for gift giving.
If you would like your products to be considered for Handmade for the Holidays, please review the information below:
- All sales through the catalog will be done on a consignment basis
- The consignment split is 40/60%, where the artist retains 60% of the sales price
- Artists set their own prices, which should include the Center’s commission
- All sales will be run through the Center either in person, by phone, or through our online shop.
- The Center will collect and pay sales taxes at the time of sales
- Artists will be paid on a monthly basis for sales that occurred the previous month (i.e. September sales are paid in October).
- Payments for sales will be made by check mailed to the address provided
- Artist must have a completed W-9 on file with the Center prior to receiving their first check. If the artist makes over $600 by the end of the year, they will receive a 1099 in January for tax purposes. Anything under $600 will not automatically receive a 1099, though one may be requested. The W-9 should also list the proper mailing address for the artist’s checks.
- If artist’s address changes during the course of the season, please notify us immediately by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Artist will sign a consignment agreement acknowledging the above guidelines
- The Center will create and distribute the digital catalog in early Fall.
- A press release will be sent to regional media to announce and promote the catalog and its offerings.
- Marketing promotions will occur throughout the holiday season to include email blasts, artist/product features, social media, etc.
- Participating artists and their products may be featured in print or in online marketing as part of promotions for the catalog.
- Artists are encouraged to assist in cross-promotion by posting on social media and sharing information about the catalog to their email lists.
- Artists agree to join the Center on the date of the catalog’s release to post the announcement on their social media pages.
- Digital copies of the final catalog will be available for artists to distribute via email or on social media
- Center staff will approve products to be showcased. Not all products are guaranteed to be accepted.
- Product must be handmade by you, your employees, or representative. Mass commercial products will not be accepted.
- Products accepted must be of high quality
- Items of any category may be considered including, but not limited to: original art and art prints; jewelry; home décor; holiday decorations; gourmet gifts; toys; garments and personal accessories; pet products; etc.
- Both original one-of-a-kind pieces and items that can be reproduced for multiple sales may be considered for this year’s catalog.
- The bulk of the catalog will feature items that can be reproduced for multiple sales (i.e. art prints, jewelry designs that can be repeated, handmade soaps and body products, etc.). It is understood that each piece will vary slightly due to the nature of handmade.
- One-of-a-kind pieces, such as handcrafted furniture or an original piece of art, may be available for sale. Artists should note on the product info sheet whether their product is one-of-a-kind or if multiples are available.
- The Center is a family friendly arts organization, for this reason, in keeping with our guidelines, we are not able to offer work that does not reflect this mission (i.e. nudity).
- Once accepted, artists selling reproducible items should be prepared to deliver a minimum of 6-12 units per item/design being offered to the Center by September 26, 2022. As items sell down, staff will contact you to deliver more product. Please do so within a week to ensure no delays in shipping orders as they come in.
- At any time, if an artist is unable to continue offering any product, please notify us immediately so we can mark the product as sold out online and with our sales representatives.
- Product orders will be available to customers by shipping or in-store/curbside pick-up. Product will need to be at the Center before the catalog drops in early October
- If you must send product(s) direct to a customer (drop ship), note this on the product sheet. Please let us know in advance what the shipping price is for that product so it can be billed correctly to the customer
- If offering a custom product (commission; monogramed items; etc.) that would be made-to-order, please provide the expected turn-around time on the order on the product info sheet.
- Artists may submit up to five (5) products to be considered for the catalog
- Catalog will remain active through December 31st; all unsold work may be picked up in early January.
To have your product considered for Handmade for the Holidays, please complete a Product Information Sheet for each product you’d like considered.
This information should be turned in to the Center no later than Friday, September 16th.Completed forms can be emailed to email@example.com, subject line: Handmade for the Holidays; or mail to:
Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen
Attn: Lauren Hall
P.O. Box 1249
Glen Allen, VA 23060
We look forward to working with you to celebrate another year with
Handmade for the Holidays!